Friday, July 16, 2010

A Mishmash


Ahhh....don't ya just love the feeling you get when your little one is napping, safe and warm and content...and you get some "me" time? Liam was up at least 4 times last night, and Bill was dead to the world, so I ended up being the one to go in and comfort him everytime. He has two teeth coming in, so I think that he was just feeling the pain a little bit. He pretty much fell back asleep everytime I would pick him up. Then I would leave the room and he would wake right back up. Little monkey!!!! Needless to say though, this morning I was like a zombie and I have been grateful for all of his naps today (we're on #3 as I write this!).

My husband was great this morning...he took Liam downstairs after I fed him at 6:30 to let me get a little bit of sleep in. Then I was woken up by these darn birds (Bill calls them "grackels" which I have never heard of). Bill put a bird feeder up in our backyard which I liked...thinking we would get some pretty robins or chickadees or something....but no, we get the huge ass crows and ravens and the grackels which only seem to appear in swarms. Guess that's how they roll...but GAH!! Liam was fascinated with the darn things today though..we watched them fly away from our kitchen window. We do have a few bluejays that have been visiting us. Did you know how big bluejays are up close? I guess I never really realized. I was sitting outside this morning, enjoying my icecap and admiring the pretty bird at my feeder. Then he started to hop closer and closer...so I crinkled my cup a little and made some noise thinking that would get him to back off...but no way, he just kept approaching. So I escaped inside! lol...I am NOT one for birds as my friends can attest.

Ok...sorry for the bird tangent there. Things are starting to settle down a little in the Adams household. Bill has been home for a few weeks now, and we are finally starting to get into a rythym with each other again. You know how everyone has those quirks? Like, I tend to leave empty glasses all over the house...then gather them all up at the end of the day. I'm thirsty, and rather than find my old glass, I just use another one. Bill HATES it! Another example, Bill tends to throw all of his dirty dishes INTO the sink without rinsing first....drives me nuts! Because then I just have to take all these gross dishes out of the sink to wash them. Anywho...when he first got home, we had a hard time adjusting to each quirks again. But I think we're doing much better now. And it has been SO great seeing Liam interacting with his Daddy. Bill and I have such different ways of parenting. I'm a much more detail oriented person. I like to make sure that everything is washed and safe before letting Liam explore. I worry too much probably. Bill on the otherhand will plop Liam down on the carpet and surround him with toys. He doesn't worry about Liam putting things in his mouth, etc. He likes to let him go. I'm thinking that we balance each other out. I was a little worried that Liam would need some time to readjust to having Bill home, but it seems as though Bill never left.

I took Liam to our first mommy and me playgroup this week in Pembroke. They do offer one on the base, but I heard that the Pembroke one was much better (though 30min. away...ah well). I met some really nice mommy's there, and Liam seemed to have a ball with the other babies. My little people watcher. For the first 15 minutes he was content to just sit in front of me and watch everything going on around him. Eventually he dug into all of the toys that were there which was great. I am excited to go back next Tuesday now! Though the only thing I have to watch out for is trying not to brag too much about my little guy. Why does it seem more acceptable to talk about the bad things our kids are doing (they're up all night, they don't eat enough, they're not crawling yet, etc. etc.) when we're in a group of moms, then to talk about all of their awesome accomplishments? Two moms at the group were talking about how their 7 months olds were still getting up once overnight to have a feeding. They both looked at me, and I was like, geez...do I tell the truth...that Liam has been sleeping through the night since he turned 6 months old? I did, but I felt a little weird saying it for some reason. Like I wasn't part of that club. lol...I dunno...silliness probably. Maybe I'll be better next week when I can join the complaining about teething and lack of sleep. ;)

1 comment:

  1. HA ha, I laughed out loud when I read about leaving the glasses and getting new ones, must be genetic, Matt does the same thing.

    And girl, brag at these mommy playgroups. It's not like you're one of the moms who brags that their 3 week old sleeps through the night, unless your devyn, babies start sleeping better around 6 mos.

    ReplyDelete