Thursday, May 26, 2011

One sick toddler = One tired mommy

My son is sick, sick, sick with a cold...which makes me sad, sad, sad because there is not too much that I can do for him.  Bill left yesterday bright and early for an 11 day field training exercise, and wouldn't ya know it?  Liam fell ill that same night!  The last time Bill left for an extended amount of time, Liam got a really nasty stomach bug that lasted for almost the whole week.  Sometimes the universe has a mean sense of humor!


Last night my lil man was up from 11pm onwards, in 30 minutes intervals.  I have never been one for co-sleeping (not making ANY sorta comment on it one way or the other...I think it's great to do if it works for your family),  Bill and I just move around too much as it is (me especially..I can never seem to get comfortable).  But last night after the 6th unsuccessful time trying to get LiLi to sleep in his own crib, I totally caved and brought him in to sleep with me.  I figured since Bill was gone it would be okay.  And it worked for about 2 hours.  Then 6am rolled around, and that was it.  We were up.  So I stumbled us downstairs, turned on some VERY early cartoons, made some toast and peanut butter...and we chilled like that for a few hours. 

I know the only reason he wasn't sleeping was because he is so congested, he just couldn't breathe, and I feel for him.  But boy oh boy...sick days..alone with a toddler...are THE longest days ever!!!!! I felt like it was 10 o'clock every time I looked at a clock.  The seconds just ticked by as I wiped the endlessly runny nose, filled the sippy cup over and over, and thought of things to do inside on this rainy, crummy, cold day (that didn't involve my son watching Handy Manny ALL day long..I'm actually starting to see re-runs..it's that bad! Have I failed parenting one-oh-one? ) 

In the end, we survived.  Liam had a couple of very short naps which gave me a little time to recoup.  We did puzzles, built block towers, colored with crayons, emptied the pot cupboard (lil monkey loves to do that!)..and I even somehow managed to make oatmeal and shortbread cookies.  BooYA! lol (Forgive me..I live on an army base).  I gave him a warm vapor bath, put some vapor rub on his feet and chest, put some saline in his nose and, blah, squeegeed it out, gave him some Tylenol Cold and Flu for babies, dressed him nice and comfy, gave him some water, and even put a small pillow in his crib with him for the first time (makes me a leetttllle nervous, but many friends of mine have told me how well their children do with it).  Fingers crossed this momma gets some sleep tonight.

Not a pic from today..but he looks darn cute so I'm posting it in lieu of the runny nose boy today.

P.S.  Sorry for the sicky post.  I swear..my brain is so tired today that even if I wanted to write about something more interesting, the theme song from Max and Ruby would pour out!

No comments:

Post a Comment