Friday, August 19, 2011

Potty Training Chronicles: Chapter 1

Liam is now 20 months old.  Waaaaayyyyy to young to start potty training right?  Well I may be bragging here, but my baby officially peed on his potty for the very first time tonight!!! Did you hear that? We had pee, in a potty, successfully....OMG!  
Bill and I bought Liam his little potty a few months ago, just to introduce Liam to the look of it, and to let him try sitting on it, playing with it..basically whatever he wanted to do with it.  A few weeks ago we decided to move it upstairs to the bathroom so that he could start associating the potty with the "big boy toilet" (k..trying to use appropriate words here..lol).  Whenever I change a poopy cloth diaper, I have Liam help me bring it to the toilet, and he gets to flush just to see what happens.  Gross? Too much information? lol.  Wellll...you may not want to read on then! lol

Every night before I give Liam a bath, I take off his diaper and have him sit on his little potty while I pour the water into the tub.  He always used to stand beside the tub while I was filling it, and usually ended up peeing on the floor...so I thought I would hedge my bets and plop him on his toilet.  And VOILA!  As I was filling the tub tonight, I look over, and there he is, peeing like a big boy.  I, of course freaked out (dunno if that's the correct response...haven't read the books yet..lol), praised him like craaaazzzzy and gave him a high five (that's the way we role in our family).  Who knew that a little pee in a little potty would bring such a high?

So I know it's early, and I won't be pushing the potty thing all the way yet, but it's nice to know that it is right around the corner for my little man.  Is it weird that I am looking forward to making a potty chart, getting out the colored star stickers and the smarties as rewards?  I can't wait to start doing things like that with Liam :)  Fingers crossed for some more potty time tomorrow night...stay tuned.  Looking forward to seeing that little tush in some spiderman undies sometime soon.


Come to think of it...Liam and I watched Elmo's potty training video on O, My Family yesterday.  Could Elmo have worked SO fast?  If so, WOO to Elmo! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment